Historical MarkerUnited Methodist Church
Granger · Williamson County · Dedicated 1970 · THC Atlas #5507015212
The roadside stories worth pulling over for.
About this site
United Methodist Church is a historical marker in Granger, Williamson County, dedicated in 1970. It is one of 241 historical markers documented in Williamson County in the Texas Historical Commission Atlas, among 445 historic sites cataloged across the county.
The site sits at 30.7164, -97.4419 near Granger. The nearest cataloged historic site is Granger City Hall (Farmers State Bank) (historical marker), about under a tenth of a mile away. Others within a short drive include A. A. & Mary Spacek House, Young House, and Brick Streets in Granger.
This record corresponds to Texas Historical Commission Atlas #5507015212. Use the map below for its exact position and turn-by-turn directions.
History
Methodists in Granger organized their congregation in 1883, first meeting in a local schoolhouse. In 1889 the thirteen charter members, including Fred Tegge Sr., built a small frame church at Willis and Broadway streets under pastor H.A. Boaz, who later became a bishop. A larger sanctuary was later erected on Elm and Granger streets. Known as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, it became First Methodist in 1939 and First United Methodist after the 1968 denominational merger.
Sources: williamsoncountytexashistory.orgatlas.thc.texas.gov