Historical MarkerFirst Presbyterian Church of Plano
Plano · Collin County · Dedicated 1997 · THC Atlas #5507014623
The roadside stories worth pulling over for.
About this site
First Presbyterian Church of Plano is a historical marker in Plano, Collin County, dedicated in 1997. It is one of 193 historical markers documented in Collin County in the Texas Historical Commission Atlas, among 342 historic sites cataloged across the county.
The site sits at 33.0207, -96.6820 near Plano. The nearest cataloged historic site is Plano Mutual Cemetery (historical marker), about 0.2 miles away. Others within a short drive include First Baptist Church of Plano, Fred Schimelpfenig Building, and Mathews General Store.
This record corresponds to Texas Historical Commission Atlas #5507014623. Use the map below for its exact position and turn-by-turn directions.
History
This congregation traces its roots to 1856, when Presbyterians began worshiping in Routh Woods; in 1873 Dr. Dye donated an acre in Plano and a building followed in 1874. After elder J.K. Aldridge gave land at Avenue L and 15th Street, a new structure was dedicated in 1898, and in 1907 the congregation dropped the Cumberland name to become First Presbyterian Church of Plano. A new sanctuary rose after a 1938 fire, and the Texas Historical Commission marked the church in 1997.
Sources: hmdb.orgcollincountyhistory.com