Historical MarkerJohn Fauth House
Gonzales · Gonzales County · Dedicated 1965 · THC Atlas #5177001578
The roadside stories worth pulling over for.
About this site
John Fauth House is a historical marker in Gonzales, Gonzales County, dedicated in 1965. It is one of 94 historical markers documented in Gonzales County in the Texas Historical Commission Atlas, among 186 historic sites cataloged across the county.
The site sits at 29.5029, -97.4510 near Gonzales. The nearest cataloged historic site is Remschel House (historical marker), about under a tenth of a mile away. Others within a short drive include Church Square, First Methodist Church of Gonzales, and William B. and Sue J. Houston House.
This record corresponds to Texas Historical Commission Atlas #5177001578. Use the map below for its exact position and turn-by-turn directions.
History
Cabinetmaker John Fauth built this Gonzales house about 1857 from lumber shipped through the port of Indianola. Over the years it served as a residence, a boarding house for schoolteachers, and a barrel shop, and Fauth crafted fine walnut furniture there; in his barrels he shipped cane syrup and tabasco peppers from J. B. Wells's Willow Springs Ranch to the McIlhenny plantation in Louisiana. The State Historical Survey Committee marked the house in 1965, and it was restored in 1964 by Ross Boothe.
Sources: hmdb.orggonzaleshistorichomes.org